Alcohol has been tempting humankind since times immemorial. But visit a doctor and the first thing they will advise is to STOP consuming alcohol. Ever questioned or wondered why?
Well, alcohol has a tad bit of good in it but it is intoxicating. It harms the liver and causes much more damage to the human body and mind than it benefits. If you weigh the pros and cons of alcohol consumption, the cons outweigh the pros. So should anyone with a sane mind consume it?
The logical answer is a loud resounding NO!
Moving onto the Islamic verdict, Allah explicitly forbade its consumption 1400 years back. Yes, science was not very advanced that time but the Creator doesn’t need science to understand what harms His creation and what benefits it.
Here’s another perspective. Alcohol is the root cause of several problems facing society. Take a moment to look at soaring crime rates, increasing instances of mental illnesses and millions of broken homes throughout the world. All of them unequivocally bear testimony to the destruction caused by alcohol.
Prohibition of alcohol in Islam
“O you who believe! Intoxicants and Gambling, (Dedication of) stones, And (divination by) arrows, Are an Abomination – Of Satan’s handiwork; Eschew such (abomination), That you may prosper.”
Can it benefit?
“They ask you (O Muhammad, peace be upon him) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: “In them is a great sin, and (some) benefit for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit.”
The crux – the benefit is less than the harm.
Diseases associated with alcoholism
Millions of people die every year only because of alcohol consumption. Here’s a brief list of alcohol related illnesses:
1. Liver Cirrhosis.
2. Cancers – (Of oesophagus, of the head and neck, of the liver, bowel, etc).
4. Angina and heart attacks are linked to heavy intake.
5. Beriberi and other deficiencies.
6. Resistance to disease and the immunological defense system are compromised by alcohol intake.
7. Chest infections are notorious in alcoholics. Pneumonia, Lung Abscess, Emphysema and Pulmonary Tuberculosis are all common in alcoholics.
8. During acute alcoholic intoxication, the drunk person usually vomits, the cough reflexes which are protective are paralysed. Occasionally it may even cause suffocation and death.
9. It’s ill effects on women deserves special mention. Females are more vulnerable to alcohol-related Cirrhosis than men. During pregnancy alcohol consumption has a severe detrimental effect on the foetus. Foetal Alcohol Syndrome is being recognized more and more in the medical profession.
10. Skin diseases are also related to it’s indulgence.
11. Eczema, Alopecia, Nail Dystrophy, Paronychia (infection around the nails) and Angular Stomatitis (inflammation of the angle of the mouth) are common diseases among alcoholics.
Also Read: 3 lessons from Surah Baqarah